Founded in 1926, The Count Basie Center for the Arts is New Jersey’s premier center for the cultural arts, dedicated to fostering powerful, inclusive artistic experiences and creative exchange of ideas.
The Basie mission is to inspire, educate and entertain through its distinct and engaging cultural and artistic offerings that reflect the diversity of the region. As a nonprofit organization, the Basie is committed to enriching the community’s quality of life by generating opportunities for participation in the arts, partnering with schools, collaborating with other mission-based organizations, and driving regional economic prosperity.
At the Count Basie Center for the Arts, we have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay and do their best work. Our continued pledge to deepen our commitment to cultural competency, racial equity and social inclusion is at the heart of our mission as a nonprofit.
All candidates must be authorized to work full-time in the United States.
Usher (Part Time)
The Count Basie Center for the Arts is seeking friendly, professional, and motivated ushers with excellent interpersonal and customer service skills. Ushers greet and escort patrons to their seats in an efficient and professional manner. Ushers must be knowledgeable about the Basie, its policies, and programs to answer guest questions and to ensure that the rules and regulations of the venue are being adhered to. This is a part-time position and the number of hours worked is dependent upon availability and scheduling needs.
Qualifications: Excellent communication and customer service skills, friendly and positive manner, and physical ability to stand and seat patrons. Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays. Qualified ushers will also be expected to scan tickets, assist with merchandise selling, and help with special events. Interested and qualified candidates should send their resumes to: [email protected] We will only contact candidates being considered for interviews. No phone calls please.
Assistant House Manager
Reporting to the House Manager, the Assistant House Manager is responsible for supporting all aspects of Front of House operations for our campus, which consists of the historic Hackensack Meridian Health Theatre as well as our second venue, the Vogel. This individual should possess superior customer service skills, with the ability to independently make quick decisions under pressure in a fast-paced environment and to be able to communicate concisely and effectively with both our patron base and our Front of House team. We are looking for someone outgoing, responsible, self-sufficient, meticulous, diligent, respectful, and savvy to fill this role, with demonstrated leadership abilities and experience in de-escalation and conflict resolution.
- Provide professional and courteous customer service for our campus by handling patron inquiries and addressing any issues as they occur during an event, while ensuring the safety and comfort of all visiting patrons.
- Work in tandem with the Box Office for all ticketing conflicts.
- Oversee the completion of all pre-show duties, including the distribution of programs and facility preparations.
- Assist in the creation of Front of House Assignment Sheets for the usher staff for both campus venues.
- Supervise the usher staff during performances, ensuring that they follow all Front-of-House policies and procedures, providing direction and training as necessary.
- Prepare the Vogel prior to show time, in accordance with the Floor Plan in use. Duties include, adjusting tables, laundering tablecloths, distributing candles, menus, & centerpieces, and helping the ushers to complete all necessary tasks before opening to the public.
- Help to facilitate VIP and Meet & Greet events, including staffing check-in tables, distributing merchandise or badges, and supervising activities.
- Assume the responsibilities of the House Managers when they are not present, including compiling information and details about each performance into a show report and completing payroll for each shift.
- High school diploma or beyond, or equivalent experience.
- Two to five years of direct customer service experience, preferably in the performing arts or hospitality industries.
- Strong communication, problem-solving, & time management skills. Must be able to think on your feet and work under pressure.
- Experience dealing with a wide variety of people & personalities.
- Computer literacy required. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Microsoft Excel & Word, as well as Google Docs.
- Availability during non-traditional hours; mostly evenings and weekends.
- Able to stand during work shifts. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs, if needed.
- Familiarity with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and its guidelines for compliance.
- CPR and/or First Aid certification preferred.
This is a part-time, non-exempt position and includes eligibility to participate in the Basie’s 401(k)-retirement plan. Hourly pay rate is $18.00. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] No phone calls please.
Private Instructors / Teaching Artists
The Count Basie Center Academy and Monmouth Conservatory of Music are currently seeking qualified instructors and / or teaching artists for private lessons and classes in the following disciplines:
- Violin / Viola
- Visual Art
This ideal candidate is responsible for teaching private lessons to students of all ages and abilities. The ability to teach beginning students is necessary. This individual must show organizational skills and an ability to effectively communicate with students, parents and staff.
For instrument lessons, the candidate will teach private lessons while incorporating elements of music theory, instrumental technique, and prepare students for music festivals as well as competitions. The candidate will assist students during ensemble rehearsals; work with administration on lesson scheduling and attend scheduled staff meetings. Prior experience in the Suzuki Method or Dalcroze Eurythmics is preferred.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in music education or performance or equivalent experience. We require that all employees submit to and clear a fingerprint and background check. All candidates must be authorized to work in the United States.
This is a part-time, hourly position and does not provide benefits. Pay is commensurate with experience.
Candidates must furnish a complete resume, along with a cover letter summarizing their desire to work for the Basie and the Monmouth Conservatory. These materials should describe previous teaching and performing experiences in all art forms, ages and levels, in private or public studios or schools. Candidates should also list experience with English Language Learners or students with special needs.
Please submit materials to [email protected]. No phone calls, please — candidates whose experience meets our needs will be contacted directly.
The Count Basie Center for the Arts is hiring experienced bartenders/servers to work in a fun, fast-paced environment. Shifts are typically evenings from 6pm-10pm Experience in an upscale restaurant or busy nightclub atmosphere is highly desired. Scheduling is flexible. Send resumes and at least three references from previous employers to [email protected].
The Count Basie Center for the Arts is seeking outgoing, service oriented candidates for our Safety & Security Team. Qualified candidates should have at least 3 years of experience in a related field such as EMT, law enforcement, or fire safety. First responders are encouraged to apply. The primary qualities and responsibilities of this position include:
- Comply with and enforce Count Basie Center’s Audience Code of Conduct, policies, and post orders.
- Provide a visual deterrence by maintaining high visibility at all times.
- Encourage and ensure guest safety and a positive experience through proactive personal intervention to resolve altercations or grievances.
- Safeguard against theft and property damage.
- Conduct detailed observation of people and property within area of responsibility.
- Respond to all safety and security calls in a timely and professional manner.
- Ability to adapt positively to frequently changing, fluid situations without the loss of efficiency or composure
- Ability to stand for 4+ hours
- Ability to lift 50lbs
This is a part-time, hourly position. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. No phone calls please.
The Count Basie Center for Arts is an equal opportunity employer which does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, nationality, ancestry, age, sex (including pregnancy), marital status, domestic partnership or civil union status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait, genetic information, liability for military service, and mental or physical disability, perceived disability, AIDS and HIV status or any other legally protected status. This policy applies to all employment actions including, but not limited to, recruitment, selection, training, promotion, transfer, layoff, and termination, and job-related social or recreational programs.